International Student Employment

There are three types of employment for International Students with F-1 visa status. If you are maintaining a full course of study, you can obtain a letter of permission from International Student Services to accept on-campus employment. Off-campus employment is available to eligible students through Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT).

  • Employment is limited to no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session.
  • More hours can be worked during the summer vacation and official school breaks as long as hours and funding are available.
  • You must receive permission before accepting employment.
  • If you lose your F-1 visa status, you must quit your job immediately.

On-Campus Student Employment Instructions (PDF)

Curricular Practical Training Instructions (PDF)

Optional Practical Training Instructions (PDF)

Instructions for Departments Hiring an International Student (PDF)